You will need:
1. Make at the jelly a few hours beforehand. Once the jelly is set, scrape it out to cover the platter.
2. Weigh each boat.
3. Place a boat at the end of the platter and gently pull it through the jelly using the spring scale. Take a note of the force required (in Newtons).
4. Repeat step 3 for each boat. Are there any differences? Try to explain your answer.
5. To make it more of a fair test, try to even the weight of the boats using the metal nuts.
Make sure that the weight is evenly distributed along the boat. Repeat the experiment.
6. Work out how could you make this an even fairer test?
For example; pulling from the same point of the boat, at the same angle, at the same speed, through the same amount of jelly... Should you use blocks with different shaped wedges attached instead?