You will need:
1. Strip 2cm off both ends of the insulated wire
2. Wrap the wire tightly around the iron bar, keeping the wire loops next to each other each time
Do this at least 40 times!
3. Connect the wire ends to the battery terminal and connect this to the battery
4. Try to pick up paperclips using the iron bar. How many can you pick up?
5. Does the size of the battery make a difference on the amount of weight you can pick up?
A magnetic field occurs when electricity passes through a wire.
This magnetic field surrounds the wire. Wrapping the wire in a tight coil concentrates the magnetic field in the center of the coil. The magnetic field faces the same direction throughout the iron bar and you can pick up iron objects.