Bringing students to Space Camp USA opens up new horizons for students interested in STEM! In this episode, we talk with One Giant Leap founder Jackie Slaviero and the newly announced student ambassador Emily Rozanc about the enormous opportunities that Space Camp brings. From meeting NASA astronauts and flight directors through to training on spacecraft simulators and touring Northrup Grumman aerospace facilities, the students have a blast as they learn all things out of this world at the US Space & Rocket Center.
About One Giant Leap Australia
Linking industry and education through innovative STEM camps, One Giant Leap Australia was founded to create leadership and enrichment opportunities to aspiring student scientists. Since inception, the program has provided an opportunity for over 300 students to travel to the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama where they can learn collaborative and problem-solving skills in the high-performance environment of space camp.
Space Camp is supported by a number of Hall of Fame members, who are all graduates of Space Camp, work tirelessly with students and alumni to support graduates of the programs to achieve their dreams. Their careers are varied and link back to their Space Camp experiences:
- Col. William Burke Hare III, U.S. Air Force, Ret. – GPS and satellite
- Ed Van Cise, NASA ISS flight director (Twitter: @Carbon_Flight)
- Dr ‘Kate’ Rubins, astronaut due to fly to ISS in May 2016 (@Astro_Kate7)
- Penny Pettigrew, Payloads Communication Manager (@PaycomPenny)
- Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger, astronaut (@AstroDot)
- Samantha Christoforetti, astronaut (@AstroSamantha)
- Bobak Ferdowsi, flight director of the Mars Curiosity team (@TweetsOutLoud)
- George Whitesides, CEO of Virgin Galactic
- Lori Garver, former NASA deputy administrator (@Lori_Garver)
- Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX
- Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google
- Pierre Omidyar, founder and chairman of eBay
About Jackie Slaviero
Jackie Slaviero is the founder of One Giant Leap Australia and an angel investor. She is the international ambassador for the Honeywell Educators @ Space Academy program, the Space Camp USA ambassador, the Australian representative for Global Friendship Through Space Education program (Space Camp Turkey) and a National STEM consultant. She is on the advisory boards of Quberider, ELLA App, Pallas Advanced Learning Systems and Launchbox.
About Emily Rozanc
Thanks to the One Giant Leap Foundation (OGL) and the US Embassy, 15-year-old Emily Rozanc is the inaugural student ambassador for OGL and will have the opportunity to attend Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama in September this year. A student of St Mark’s Catholic College in Stanhope Gardens, she’s certainly excited about the upcoming trip!
“I love all aspects of STEM, particularly science and maths. I’m really looking forward to going to Space Camp not only because it is my first trip overseas, but in my role as the inaugural student ambassador for One Giant Leap, I get to take a glimpse into my future and the possibilities in the growing world of STEM.
I consider myself to be a normal teenager: I love pop music (Coldplay, DNCE), LOVE food, sport and chocolate milk. When I was five I was determined to open up my own hot chip factory. My parents always smiled and encouraged me to live my dream from a very young age. Now I’m fifteen and I still have big dreams and a mountain of determination…that journeys beyond the walls of my hot chip factory - and perhaps even beyond planet Earth!”
Further contact details & resources
- One Giant Leap Australia: http://onegiantleapaustralia.com/
- Space Camp USA: https://www.spacecamp.com/
- Astronaut Stories Australia: http://astrostoriesaustralia.com.au/
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority: https://www.casa.gov.au/
About the FizzicsEd Podcast
With interviews with leading science educators and STEM thought leaders, this science education podcast is about highlighting different ways of teaching kids within and beyond the classroom. It's not just about educational practice & pedagogy, it's about inspiring new ideas & challenging conventions of how students can learn about their world!
Know an educator who'd love this STEM podcast episode?
NEW Primary science teaching book
Ideas for using drones in
Inspiring TED talks
20 ways to inspire
kids in science